Cena’s WrestleMania Guest Passes Away, Cena’s Essay on Make-A-Wish, News on the Future of WWE Studios, Vince Says WWE Will Be Stronger In 2013, More
April 28, 2012 · 0 Comments
It’s very sad to report the death of 12 year old Dylan Christian. Dylan is the friend of John Cena’s who met Cena at the RAW Supershow in Cleveland months ago. Cena brought the boy and his family to WrestleMania 28. Cena talked highly about the boy in the weeks leading up to WrestleMania. This was Dylan’s fourth battle with cancer. He passed away on Thursday.
On a related note, USA Today has published an essay from Cena talking about his Make-A-Wish experiences. Here is an excerpt:
“As these kids come looking for a chance to interact with my WWE persona, they are living that moment on their terms. And they exude pure joy. Triumph. Their parents, often through tears, say the wish experience has given them their children back.
There is a lesson here for all of us. About making wishes, and about granting them.
Wishing is powerful stuff.”
WWE Superstar Alex Riley turns 31 years old today.
- Dustin “Goldust” Rhodes has opened another Twitter account at @DRHODES_SAYS.
- Zack Ryder wrote that WWE censored this week’s YouTube entry again:
“@WWE censored me again! WTF!!!”
WWE held the annual shareholder’s meeting on Friday morning at WWE Headquarters in Stamford, CT. This time, Triple H was introduced under his real name along with the other WWE executives including Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn and Basil Devito. Here are some highlights:
* Vince guaranteed that WWE will be in stronger shape by this time next year. Vince talked about WWE attendance being up and RAW being up 3% in the ratings while SmackDown is up 15%.
* CFO George Barrios said that 37% of WWE business is now international.
* Barrios said 2010 was WWE’s most profitable year but they lost $40 million in 2011. $30 million of that was losses from WWE Studios. WWE was also hurt last year by holding off on rights fees of non-RAW and SmackDown shows as they hold them off for the Network.
* Barrios added that WWE is the #2 action figure brand.
* WWE Studios head Michael Luisi said they will now be doing PG-13 and R rated movies as well as different genre films like horror, sci-fi, drama and others. They will also continue to do PG movies.
* WWE will also focus on working on pre-existing franchises and producing sequals as a way to tap into those movies fanbases and broaden their own film base beyond the WWE fans.
* WWE Studios has began acquiring completed movies which will allow them to take the movie, brand it as a WWE film and market it over the various WWE properties.
* Marine: Homefront will begin filming in June and a WWE Superstar will be announced in the starring role soon. Horror movie No One Lives with Brodus Clay in a supporting role will be released in 2013.
- As noted before, WWE Champion CM Punk will sing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” on May 7th at the Chicago Cubs baseball game. To celebrate this, Dimo’s Pizza in Chicago is bringing back their Anaconda Vice vegan pizza and regular Go To Sleep pizza from May 8th through the 14th.
- We noted before that Wade Barrett’s “lawyer” recently took over his Twitter account while he is away with injury. Here are some recent tweets from the account, one mentioning the Heath Slater vs. Flo Rida feud:
“In order to end any speculation relating to his motives behind the engagement of an attorney for the purpose of social media management, my client, Mr. Barrett, has instructed me to inform the general public that his reasoning is, essentially, two-fold. To wit: (i) time constraints, and (ii) a diminished tolerance of the hoi polloi. Regards, Peter Lazarou, Esq.”
“Money never sleeps, and neither does my client, Mr. Barrett. Regards, Peter Lazarou, Esq.”
“My client, Mr. Barrett, is enthralled by the prospect of @official_flo giving @HeathSlaterOMRB a good kicking. Regards, Peter Lazarou, Esq.”
Share and Enjoy